The Hastings Leadership Academy for Women is an executive education course that prepares women law firm partners and in-house counsel to stride confidently to the highest levels of success in their firms and organizations, their communities and the legal profession.
2021 details forthcoming, see 2020 program details below.
July 2021 | San Francisco
- Complimentary 2021 Alumnae program. Participants are invited to join us for a special alumnae program in San Francisco next year that will include the opportunity to network with in-house participants. While the 2020 in-house attorney program is being deferred until next year to focus on maintaining an intimate virtual experience for partners, alumnae can look forward to reconnecting in person with us, with each other and with our in-house participants in 2021;
- One-on-one virtual coffee with you and Joan C. Williams or Jamie Dolkas, before or after the Academy;
- Participate in our most exciting event yet. Join us for a virtual happy hour with home delivery of champagne, supplies and other treats throughout;
- Connect with a small group of likeminded women facing similarly unique challenges in a safe and collaborative learning environment. We are working hard to ensure that this year’s group creates the same tight and lasting bonds that have long been a key feature of the Academy; and
- Invest in yourself. Take a moment to refocus on professional and personal development with interactive content updated to help you succeed in the new landscape of work and respond to new challenges.
Who Should Attend?
The Leadership Academy is an executive education program for women law firm partners who are current or emerging leaders within their organizations. Women who attend are the rising stars of the legal profession, and the Leadership Academy gives them the tools and confidence they need to realize their leadership ambitions.
What topics are covered?
The Leadership Academy focuses on skill building and prepares participants to assume significant leadership roles and make contributions highly visible, valued and rewarded. Attending the Leadership Academy will teach you how to:
- Make strategic decisions that will advance your career;
- Build robust professional networks;
- Leverage your strengths and create leadership opportunities;
- Use the economic and political dynamics of your organization to your advantage;
- Recognize and manage the impact of gender dynamics on your career;
- Project confidence and credibility;
- Deal effectively with conflict; and
- Develop and project a leadership style that is authentic and effective.
The following organizations have participated in the Leadership Academy and/or are currently participating in WorkLife Law’s women’s leadership programs:
Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck
Bull, Housser & Tupper
Carroll, Burdick & McDonough
Chapman and Cutler
Coblentz, Patch, Duffy & Bass
Crowell & Moring
Davis, Polk & Wardwell
Davis Wright Tremaine
Dewey & LeBoeuf
Epstein Becker & Green
Faegre & Benson
Faegre Baker Daniels
Farella Braun & Martel
Fenwick & West
Finnegan Henderson Farabow Garrett
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
Gordon & Rees
Heninger Garrison Davis
Kirkland & Ellis
Klein, Denatale Goldner
Latham & Watkins
The Liu Law Firm, P.C.
Manatt, Phelps & Phillips
McCarter & English
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy
Miller Brown & Dannis
Morrison & Foerster
Munger, Tolles & Olson
Murphy Pearson Bradley & Feeney
O’Melveny & Myers
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman
Richards Kibbe & Orbe
Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd
Rosen, Bien & Galvan
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold
Severson & Werson
Shearman & Sterling
Shook, Hardy & Bacon
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal
Steptoe & Johnson
Stradling Yocca Carlson Rauth
Squire, Sanders & Dempsey
Townsend and Townsend and Crew
Trucker Huss, APC
Weil Gotshal Manges
Wendel, Rosen, Black & Dean
Williams & Connolly
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Winston & Strawn
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
Adobe Systems Inc.
Allstate Insurance Co.
Altria Client Services Inc.
The American Institute of Architects
Argonne National Laboratory
Cadence Design Systems Inc.
Chiquita Brands International
Cupertino Electric Inc.
Del Monte Foods
Delicato Family Vineyards
Fdn. for CA Community Colleges
Idaho National Laboratory
Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Los Alamos National Laboratory
LVMH | Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Metropolitan Transportation Commission
Midpen Regional Open Space District
NERA Economic Consulting
Pacific Gas & Electric Co.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Pandora Media Co.
PNC Financial Services Group
Procter & Gamble
The Reutlinger Community
SF City Attorney’s Office
San Francisco Giants
Santa Clara University
SAP Software Solutions
State Bar of California
SVB Financial Group
Symphony Service Corp.
T-Mobile USA, Inc.
Texas A&M University
UCSF Medical Center
University of California
University of California, Hastings College of the Law
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Pennsylvania
Warner Music Group
Frequently Asked Questions
- open all
- close all
How will this program benefit my organization?
Women represent a vital talent pool for companies. Organizations benefit when women apply their talents as leaders, serve as mentors and role models crucial for attracting and retaining junior women in the organization, and provide the diversity that the marketplace increasingly demands. The Leadership Academy prepares participants to assume greater leadership responsibilities, increase their value to their organization, and leverage their abilities and talents more strategically for positive business results.
What's the program format?
The Leadership Academy curriculum follows a business school model that includes case studies, team problem-solving, interactive programming, and one-on-one exercises. The instruction is research-based, including an understanding of strategic and tactical thinking, practical applications and coaching.
How many people will attend the Leadership Academy?
We strictly limit the number of participants to approximately 25 partners to ensure a highly-interactive program with ample opportunities for one-on-one coaching and valuable network-building between participants.
What about cancellations or participant substitutions?
All cancellation and participant substitution requests must be made in writing and may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Participant substitutions may be made at any time at the election of the organization. If you do not know who will attend from your company you can still reserve a seat.
- Full refunds are available for all registrants if cancelled before June 1, 2020.
- For cancellations between June 1 and July 1, 2020, 40% of the registration fee will be refunded. The remaining 60% of the fee can be applied toward participation in the 2020 or 2021 Leadership Academy. Any unused credits will expire on August 15, 2021.
- There are NO REFUNDS for cancellations after July 1, 2020. Registrants that cancel after July 1, 2020 will receive a credit for the amount paid for the cancelled participant and can use that credit toward the 2020 or 2021 Leadership Academy. Any unused credits will expire on August 15, 2021.
- Participants who cancel and then use their 2020 credit to attend the 2021 program will be treated as 2020 registrants, and will not count as an organization’s “first participant” for purposes of 2021 registration. If an organization sends a 2020 cancelled registrant to the 2021 program and also registers a new participant for 2021, the new 2021 registrant must pay the “first participant” rate; any additional new registrants will pay the “additional participant” discounted rate. This applies to both member and non-member organizations.
How can my company become a sponsor?
Interested in supporting our mission, investing in women’s leadership and connecting with our audience of successful women from top firms and companies? Learn more about becoming a Leadership Academy sponsor here.